After over 16 years, OSDisc.com has closed. I started OSDisc to spread Linux and help new users get started. But providing DVDs today has little effect on the spread of Linux. I regularly see small distros that provide
tens of thousands of downloads, but few if any DVDs are provided by OSDisc. The vast majority of Linux users are downloading Linux themselves. And that's a great thing to see.
What we've accomplished:
Shipped over 300,000 discs and USB drives
Helped over 110,000 users get started with Linux
Answered over 25,000 tech support tickets
Given back over $200,000 to the open source community
Thank you to everyone for making OSDisc possible for the past 16 years.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter and be kept up to date on the latest Linux releases. Your email address
will only be used for this newsletter, and you can unsubscribe at any time with a single click.
Drive Features: Unique and Sophisticated Metallic Design
Dimensions: 1.54" x 0.48" x 0.18" (39.0mm x 12.4mm x 4.6mm)
Warranty: 5-year Manufacturer Warranty
wattOS is a fast desktop Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. Using the lightweight LXDE desktop as its default user interface, the distribution strives to be as energy-efficient as possible so that it can be used on low-specification and recycled computers.
The result is a light, clean, fast desktop in both cases that can be used to bring old computers back to life or as a basis to start with a clean simple desktop for whatever use you decide to customize into.
Core apps and versions for LXDE
OS-Basis – Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
Core system – Kernel 4.4.0-36
Web Browser – Firefox 48.0
Music Player – Lollypop 0.9.112
File Manager – PCManFM 1.2.4
Graphics/Picture editing – gThumb 3.4.3
File-transfer – Filezilla 18.104.22.168
BitTorrent client – Transmission 2.84
PDF viewer – Evince 3.18.2
Gufw (ufw firewall gui) 16.04.1
Power management utilities like powertop to optimize settings, support for power management features of laptops are included.
Whats new in R10
A continued focus to try and provide a clean basic desktop with a few key apps that you can then add whatever tools you like for a modern clean desktop without the clutter.
– Upgrade to newest LTS Ubuntu as base
– All new versions and upgrades to programs mentioned above
– Broader support for wireless and various hardware (added Dynamic Kernel Module Support and legacy broadcom support for wider wireless out of the box for live installs/testing)
– Changed default music player to the excellent Lollypop music player that gives access to a wide variety of streaming stations
– Added the Gufw to provide an easy to use GUI to configure firewall settings and secure your system
– Changed graphics editing to gThumb to simplify photo editing
– Removal of additional applications that may not be used often by many. (CD burning, native video player)
LXDE versions wattOS should be able to run on any system that has a processor released in the last 10 years (some even further back) with 192-256MB of RAM to install but less than 128MB after install is complete. We enjoy bringing old computers back to life, and wattOS is a great candidate to do that.